There are days we all need a little encouragement. Incase you’re unsure what encouragement means here’s the definition from Webster.
: the act of making something more appealing or more likely to happen
: something that makes someone more determined, hopeful, or confident
: something that makes someone more likely to do something
Be sure to replace the word “someone” with the word “I” (yourself).
Some of you may think it’s selfish to encourage yourself to pursue dreams or to just give yourself a simple pep talk everyday. If you don’t do this for yourself then who else will? Let me just answer this question real quick and simple for you. NO one!
There was a time I doubted many things. People in my life never knew this because this lady is always bubbly, happy go lucky, having a good ole time. There were things I wanted to do with my life and because of doubt and allowing others to laugh and doubt my dreams it stayed in the background of my life. A day came that a I heard a little song in church that made me realize everything I was doing was something good, so why not reach for my dreams. I listened to this song and this lady patted her ownself on the back.
Last year my family adopted this song as our theme song for school mornings. We listened to it every morning (tried) before walking out the door. Why? On a daily basis children and adults walk into situations with doubters and negativity all around. Something about this song makes all worries and doubts disappear for me.
There’s a few things I do every morning to encourage myself:
- say a morning prayer thanking God for watching over me and waking me up
- read a scripture (this is something I’m still working on each morning)
- take a quick look in the mirror to give MYSELF a compliment (no, I haven’t done a thing with myself. But, I’m able to love me with the fresh roll out of bed and all)
- reflect while in the shower. I will have a full conversation with myself sometimes (yes, that sounds a little crazy, but I promise I’m sane) about different situations in my life, family life, friends, goals, work, etc
- keep myself surrounded by positive people
- open communication with my husband and kids
- believing in myself
When I thank God for the goodness of protecting me and waking me up I’m encouraged to live that new day fully. It reminds me how easily things could be different, so why not strive to do things I feel I’m meant to do? Ask yourself that question; Why not strive for what I want out of life? Share your story with us, tell us how you encourage yourself or your new outlook of encouragement.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27