Are you looking for a fun way to help your child learn letter blends? POP for Blends is a fun way to get them going.
I’ve been using the POP for Sight Words for a year with my students. The only negative about it is we have too much FUN playing it! Just kidding, that’s never a negative when it comes to learning. If kids enjoy the activity they will enjoy learning.
This what I do when we play:
- We must always have real popcorn popped so we can snack and play
- We usually get down on the floor, stepping away from the table allows us to have more fun and get comfortable
- We correct one another. Yes, I purposely miss words so the student can correct me. Giving the child an opportunity to teach me how to sound the word out not only confirms they are learning, but it also boost their self-esteem
- We have FUN! We get loud, laugh, roll around and just straight up enjoy ourselves
- If we’re playing the game at the end of a session we invite the parent to join us
My students get the biggest laugh when I pull the POP card, especially when I have about ten kernels laying out. Oh, man!!!! They always encourage me and tell me to not give up. I share this to say that this game just doesn’t help with reading, but it also teaches self-esteem and encouragement. You just can’t go wrong with either!
This particular game is a little different from the sight word POP games. POP for Blends comes with a spinner. You take turns spinning and have to say the number of words spun starting with the letter blend on your kernel. Oh….so much fun and great way to practice spelling words as well.
Please note: there are affiliate links, a small commission will be made. I personally support each educational item shared on this post. I have either used it for my own children, clients or personally researched and agree with. Thank you for reading and supporting. Come back and read more with me! Leave a comment below.